C Position: Major Workout
In this lesson we will create a workout, built from 4 exercises that revolve around the C-position of CAGED. Once this workout is mastered, you will be able to visualise all of the intervals within this position at ease. You should implement this workout into your daily practice routine for maximum benefits.
- As I introduce each device, pause the video to read the information on-screen.
- Take a moment to work out the interval locations yourself before confiding in the diagrams. You will be able to do this by memorising the formula for the device that you are attempting, whilst also using the parent chord shape as your reference.
- Play consciously. Say the intervals as you play them.
- Begin on the lowest available root note of the position. Ascend to the highest note of that position, and then descend to the lowest note of that position. Finally, ascend to the original root note to finish the exercise.
- Avoid stretching where possible. It will be easier for you to memorise the intervals if they are closer to the parent chord shape.
PRACTICE ORDER & INTERVALLIC FORMULAS
- Parent Shape: C Shape, D Chord
- Triad Arpeggio: 1, 3, 5 (Major Triad)
- 7th Arpeggio: 1, 3, 5, 7 (Major 7th)
- Pentatonic Scale: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 (Major Pentatonic)
- Diatonic Scale: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (Major Scale)
Major Triad Arpeggio:
Major 7th Arpeggio:
Major Pentatonic Scale:
Click here to Download a PDF copy of these neck diagrams.